General

Dried blood around dogs nipples

Dried blood around dogs nipples

Dried blood around dogs nipples - is that normal?

I have a 10 month old dalmatian/chihuahua mix, and have noticed a small amount of dried blood on my dogs nipples. I have taken her to the vet, and the vet said she could be teething, and gave her a baby gel, which did help a little. I would have a hard time putting her through the process again if it isn't normal. Does anyone else have this problem?

Comments (16)

We recently had a similar problem with our dog. She has a bad case of dry teats, but when she licks/pulls on herself, she'll lick around her nipples. We put her on baby gel and she started to lick again and it helped tremendously. She hasn't licked her nipples since then.

We have the same problem with our dogs...my 2 yr old golden retrievers have the same dry teats too! After a little baby gel, their nipples would just be soft! It is totally normal, and nothing to worry about. They were born with dry teats, so they lick them to try to get the dryness off! Hope that helps!

I'm sorry, that's not normal. We have had a problem with that too, so we've given her a baby gel when she does it. She gets the same results, but it is not normal. You should take her to the vet. That could be a sign of a more serious problem.

I know they are not normally supposed to lick their nipples and I don't believe in giving them baby products. But the dryness is normal and no big deal. It's just something that happens with teething. The baby gel was recommended to us by the vet when they licked their nipples.

When mine did this, the vet told us that's normal, that it is caused by the babies teeth coming in, the blood vessels break which is why there is that extra blood in the area. He didn't recommend anything, but it is supposed to go away. My dog is 10 months old. I also noticed that when I take her in to the vet she bites her legs when they come out of the carrier and she isn't normally this way. She just wants to get out and play...she is not usually this way. She is an active, energetic, happy dog. I just have to remember that the bite of her leg is normal. I also noticed that she has started to try to bite the inside of her lip when she licks, and that is normal, too. I really think she is teething and the biting and licking of her legs is normal.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow for some xrays, and probably some shots, but I'm a little scared about this because of her other problems. She's always had skin problems and allergies, but she just got a skin rash about 2 weeks ago, but it hasn't gotten much bigger yet, and it's clear that it was some sort of reaction to something. I don't think it's contagious, but who knows. My mom is going to take her in to work with her today (which is the only time my mom will have her alone) so they can work through it together, but she is still getting bit all the time!

When mine did this, the vet told us that's normal, that it is caused by the babies teeth coming in, the blood vessels break which is why there is that extra blood in the area. He didn't recommend anything, but it is supposed to go away.

Yeah, that's what he said too. Mine hasn't gotten better yet. She's 11 months old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitzi

My dog is 10 months old. I also noticed that when I take her in to the vet she bites her legs when they come out of the carrier and she isn't normally this way. She just wants to get out and play...she is not usually this way. She is an active, energetic, happy dog. I just have to remember that the bite of her leg is normal. I also noticed that she has started to try to bite the inside of her lip when she licks, and that is normal, too. I really think she is teething and the biting and licking of her legs is normal.

I hope your dog gets well soon. That's what we thought, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilly's Mommy

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow for some xrays, and probably some shots, but I'm a little scared about this because of her other problems. She's always had skin problems and allergies, but she just got a skin rash about 2 weeks ago, but it hasn't gotten much bigger yet, and it's clear that it was some sort of reaction to something. I don't think it's contagious, but who knows. My mom is going to take her in to work with her today (which is the only time my mom will have her alone) so they can work through it together, but she is still getting bit all the time!

I hope your dog gets well soon. That's what we thought, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kacie

I know they are not normally supposed to lick their nipples and I don't believe in giving them baby products. But the dryness is normal and no big deal. It's just something that happens with teething. The baby gel was recommended to us by the vet when they licked their nipples.

I haven't heard that about them licking their nipples, but I do agree that it's not normal. I hope your dog gets better soon!

I don't think there is any "normal" when it comes to teething. It is pretty normal for your puppy to get a little bit of blood around their nipples as they teethe. I actually had one puppy who got a little bit of blood on his butt while he was teething and I didn't even think much about it


Watch the video: Milk infection in Dog. New born Puppy Care. Mastitis in Dogs (January 2022).